the dreaded council tax

You probably won’t have to pay this tax if you’re a full-time student, but it’s something you should be aware of. The Council Tax is a local property tax used to pay for services, such as health care, police, and fire. This tax is based on property value and is usually issued to the person living in the property. So if you are a non-student renter, the tax may fall on you.

To obtain exemption, your university or you will need to provide the local Council with proof of your full-time student status. You may not receive exemption if you live with non-students, so keep this in mind when you are looking for housing.

Check your university and local Council’s websites to get specific information on exemption.


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: